Clock/Chimes Fund

Funded by the people of Upchurch, the clock and chimes were installed for Christmas 1918. A plaque by the main St Mary’s  church door, marks this event.

It is well known in the village that the clock would stop with any disruption in the power supply. In Upchurch this seems to happen often!

It was clearly going to be an embrassment for the village if the clock wasn’t working for the 100th anniversary of the ending of World  War One.  An inspection was undertaken and certain changes have been made which include a guaranteed power supply.

This of course has cost money, which Upchurch Parish Council agreed to fund. This honours the commitment given to the village in 1918. 

This web site was the only one, to support from the start the Clock & Chimes Fund. The clock and chimes were always seen as an important part of the village. As they honour the remembrance given by the village to those villagers who never returned from World War One. 

© Mike Gunnill 2019